so you decided to switch try weechat?
what options do you need to set? what plugins? what scripts?
i’ll go over some of the most essential of these, and share my full configs.
logger.level.ircthe default is 9, which includes joins and parts. in most cases you can set this to 3, which only includes messages
weechat.look.buffer_notify_defaultthe default here is “all”, which will add joins and parts to your hotlist. set it to “message”.
weechat.look.confirm_quitset this to on. you’ll thank me when you type
weechat.look.highlightadd a comma-separated list of names/terms you’d like to trigger a highlight here
weechat.look.prefix_align_maxset this to something between 10 and 20. otherwise, long nicks will crush your available screen real estate.
buflist.format.indenttry something like
buflist.format.numberif you want to skip the . or space after the number, set it to
irc.look.color_nicks_in_namesset this to on
irc.look.color_nicks_in_nicklistset this to on
irc.look.server_bufferset this to independent to prevent automatic merges with the core weechat buffer. especially useful if you plan on using autosort.py
irc.server_default.autoconnectset this to on so you don’t have to set it for every new network you add.
these scripts can be managed with the built in
/script tool. press i, then enter on the selected script to install it.
- highmon.pl – set aside a buffer to list the places your nick has been mentioned
- colorize_nicks.py – show nicks in chat with colors
- go.py – fuzzy quick jump by buffer number of channel name
- autojoin.py – use
/autojoin --runto save all the channels you’re currently in to be autojoined the next time you start weechat
- autosort.py – use this script in tandem with irc.look.server_buffer=independent to keep you channel and server list in order
- colorize_lines.pl – i use this script to highlight the entire line of messages i’ve been mentioned in. check the options in the source or with
- grep.py – quickly search history and buffers with
the rest of my configs
you can find the rest of my configs here.
here’s a screenshot of my current configs
if you have an existing setup, you can check the config changes you’ve made with
additionally, feel free to use my .gitignore, add your ~/.weechat to source control, and compare.
hope you’ve enjoyed customizing your weechat!